17 September, 2007

Backdated: Flirt

Update 9/11/07
Flirt and I are finally getting along better. I figured out the “button” to push to get her to come into a frame (unfortunately AFTER Nationals), and I believe that some groundwork on the lunge line with side reins would be beneficial to promote bit acceptance. I’m also contemplating changing her bit to a loose-ring snaffle so there is a bit more play in the bit for her while she is learning this, as she tends to “lock” on the bit and run through your hands, this will help prevent this.
I would like her pace to be a bit more controlled on my part, but I believe this will be better on the next ride. A lot of this is up to me and how I’m using my body and whether or not I LET her get away from me and then fight with her or if I prevent it from the beginning by keeping her collected and between my hands and legs. I know I can do it, it will just take time as Flirt (and I) are still learning.
I know she will take me to the jump, but I need to make her feel secure enough so that she doesn’t rush. All in all I believe that if her pace is controlled, this will carry over into her jumping and make the approach more controlled.

Update 9/13/07
Flat: I really made Flirty work today! She was sweating profusely after only 30 minutes. I made her step it up today and asked for a rounder frame and for her to track up behind at the trot. I worked on keeping her between my hands and legs (as was my goal before, she is getting better). Bending is also getting better. She is a little naturally stiff in the throatlatch and body.
I worked on the canter quite a bit today. She has a lot of power in that butt of hers and likes to try to jet across the centerline and run through my hands. I worked on getting her back to a collected canter and consistent pace. I can tell this is a difficult move for her, as she would break into the trot every once in awhile. I don’t think she has enough muscle at this point to sustain a collected canter for a long period of time so I only asked for it intermittently. When she had it, it was very nice. She would round her body and take slower, controlled steps.
I would like to achieve more of this and get to a point where her canter can be completely controlled and her stride adjusted. Like I said in the last update, this will carry over in the jumping.
Jumping: I jumped a tad bit today. Her trot-ins are great. They are even, calm, and controlled. I am very proud. I also set up an outside line, which consisted of trotting into a small cross rail, and then three canter strides to a small vertical. (X--- --- ---I)
She performed this great each time and her canter strides were even and controlled. I also worked on some single 2’ verticals trot in, canter out. Those were perfect, she has a very smooth jump.

No comments: