17 September, 2007

Backdated: Raquel

Update 9/11/07
Today was the second time I have ridden Raquel and I love her. I rode her mostly trotting to keep it easy but threw in a few canter circles for good measure. She does need work but I think her and I mesh quite nicely, almost better than Flirt and I. Hopefully she stays sound because I would like to take her to Pomona to compete in some flat classes. She has a great uphill canter that is fun to ride and she is very flexible in the poll and body.
She tends to try to set the pace every chance she gets so I try to stay constantly on my toes (figuratively) to keep her between my hands and legs.
The most interesting thing I have learned about her is that she really isn’t all that nervous. I think that she is extremely clever! She is pretty steady as far as I can tell right now and she did do a “fake spook” today which shows me her methods of evading work (ha ha).
Fortunately I have quite a bit of experience dealing with goofy horses such as her and have been blessed with the fact that she has been a tad bit easier to figure out than most. I think her and I are going to have a lot of fun.

No comments: