24 September, 2007

Flirt, Raquel, Gigi, Sophie

Flirt did very well today. Her approach to jumping is signifigantly more controlled than when we began working with her issue of rushing the jumps in August. I think more time and 'miles' will help wrap this up. Her simple changes are nice and controlled and her canter is slow. I didn't do too much today, just some verticals and a simple grid consisting of a cross-rail, a small vertical, and a large oxer. (X---I--- --- ---II) I'll introduce more complicated excersizes and small courses this week and coming month [October]. Her and I have a lesson on this Saturday afternoon so I am hoping to better refine my skills and hers at that time.

I just longed Raquel in the round pen today and she continues to be a pleasure to work with. While trotting around, she was showing classic signals of wanting to "join up", a phrase coined by horseman Monty Roberts. Lowering her head, licking and chewing, and her inside ear fixated on me let me know as if that Raquel was saying "I am an herbivore. I am no threat to you, and you are now the leader of my herd." I asked her to walk and she turned into the center of the round pen, then followed me to the gate so that I may halter her. Ah, Join-Up is a beautiful thing.

We brought Gigi out of the pouring rain last Saturday and we are now trying to put some weight on her so she is in a stall with a run. She will eventually be sold. I groomed her for the first time and she was a little antsy at first as expected, but later settled in like a pro and I was very impressed. She is still in the awkward baby stage but I think she will grow up and fill out to be a fine pony. Now I've just got to get that mane under control! When we first brought her up from the pasture she literally had dreadlocks. I call her my "Rasta Pony". Now that's been worked through but her mane is still hideously long.

Goal for this month: Get all manes thinned and shortened.

I rode Sophie today for the very first time. I wasn't nervous but I did keep in mind that she is a very young horse so not only would I have to be consistent, but I would have to be a very active rider as well. I longed her a bit first in the round pen for good measure. She was a bit goosey with the saddle pad but otherwise took everything in stride, even stood still at the mounting block! She is a very sensitive pony with a soft mouth and is very straightforward to ride. She has an overall acceptance of the bit which pleases me and seems to be happy undersaddle. I kept her mind active by doing lots of bending excersizes, circles, loops, halts, etc, but I didn't push past walk/trot today. Overall, a decent day. What a good girl. Although I am a little biased because she is my favourite..

No comments: